Suggestions for FreeBSD workstation

Miguel Gonçalves miguelg at fe.up.pt
Thu Mar 27 01:23:17 PST 2003

Hello FreeBSDers!

I am about to build a new box to keep at home to do some
digital photo editing, write some documents with LaTeX and
listen to some music (MP3, Ogg Vorbis and Audio CDs).

I selected this hardware and I was hoping to get some
feedback from you on items that might have problems with
FreeBSD 4.7 and the new 4.8.

Anyway here it is:

- ASUS A7S333 motherboard
- AMD XP 2000+
- Titan D5TB-TC Socket A/FCPGA
- 3 x DDR 512 MB PC333
- Western Digital 80GB 80/72/100 800JB 8MB Cache
- CDRW LG 8481B 48x24x48x IDE
- Intel EtherExpress Pro 100 NIC

- Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop
- 19" Sony CPD-E450
- XFX Riva TNT 32MB AGP
- Sound Blaster Live 4.1 Creative OEM

My doubts regarding this configuration are related
to the Sound Blaster Live support.

BTW, with 1.5 GB of RAM can I mount the /usr/src
and /usr/obj in a MFS to speed up 'world' compilation?

Please reply to me as I am not on the list due to
incoming mailbox limits.

Best regards,
Miguel Goncalves