disklabel - 8th partition shows "X" as Partition name

Mike Meyer mwm-dated-1049136993.ad3fe2 at mired.org
Wed Mar 26 18:56:36 PST 2003

In <3E81F673.4040706 at centtech.com>, Eric Anderson <anderson at centtech.com> typed:
> Mike Meyer wrote:
> [..snip..]
> > Of course, one has to wonder why anyone needs as many as seven
> > partitions on a single disk. It's far more common to want to go the
> > other way, and have multiple disks in a single partition.
> Separating the 350Gb up into smaller chunks makes dividing the space for
> different projects much easier.  Also, this is a RAID 50, so I've got
> the "multiple disk in a single partition" taken care of.

Different projects is what directories are for - unless there are
reasons to have a space firewall between them. In general, the reasons
for creating partitions these days are administrative. Otherwise,
you're just creating things that will run out of space quicker than
having one big one.

Have you thought about dividing the disks up into different RAID
devices to mimic your administrative needs?

	<mike