bge network driver not loaded on a HP (Compaq) Proliant DL380 G3

David Landgren david at landgren.net
Wed Mar 26 14:41:29 PST 2003

Hello,

I am in the process of installing FreeBSD 4.7 on an HP Proliant DL380
G3. At the moment I am blocked by the fact that the kernel does not
recognise the network card (or rather, does not load the bge driver).

It is a Broadcom BCM5703X Gigabit Ethernet adapter. (In fact there are two).

When I run 'pciconf -lv' it displays the following output

(not cut&paste)

none4 at pci2:1:0:class=[omitted]
vendor   = 'Broadcom Corporation'
device   = 'BCM5703X Gigabit Ethernet'
class    = network
subclass = ethernet

and same again more or less for the second adapter at none5. And when I
run ifconfig -a, they are not present.

The GENERIC kernel doesn't load the driver, and the bge driver is
included. I rebuilt a kernel stripping out all the other network
adapters and still it does not correctly sense the card. How can I force
FreeBSD to recognize the adapters?

A second problem, less urgent, is that the machine has 5Gb of RAM, and
at boot time the kernel says

  memory above 4Gb ignored

While configuring the new kernel file I reviewed everything in LINT but
I didn't see anything obvious. Is it possible to get 4.7 to recognize
 >4Gb or is this something that can only be done on a more recent
version, e.g., 4.8 or 5.0?

Thanks for any clues I can use,
David