11 Hour Installs on KDE?

Vulpes Velox kitbsdlists at HotPOP.com
Sat Jun 28 16:34:39 PDT 2003

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 12:59:36 -0800
Joe Pokupec <joepok at ninestar.com> wrote:

> Hey Guys,
>
> Thanks for your input and explanations. Here's the part I don't understand
> (very simplistic view). Both machines previously had Red Hat 9 installed on
> them. I decided that I didn't want to pay Red Hat for their up2date feature
> on each machine and decided to go back to BSD with a GUI so I could go back
> to the trusty, and free ports feature(s)...
>
> RH9 took less than 15 minutes to install and boot for each machine. It has
> the Blue Wave GUI and I would imagine is pretty bloated as well. So, from
> this point of view, how can one OS take 15 minutes, while the other take 15
> hours (and counting)?

lol, very simply...   If it is taking 15 minutes to install it is not compiling any thing or very little.
I would suggest you use /stand/sysinstall or pkg_add to install KDE if you are worried about
time. If you want a quick install the pkg_add is the way to go, but it should be noted that this is
not very pretty since it is not heavily optimized. I personally like optimizing every thing with
either -O2 or -O3. This takes awhile, but for the most part it has been worth it, from my
experience.