11 Hour Installs on KDE?

Nicolas Galler beanie at gryphonmud.com
Sat Jun 28 14:27:05 PDT 2003

The reason the bsd port takes longer to build is that it has to be compiled
first. Redhat uses pre-compiled binaries (the rpm). You can download
"packages" under FreeBSD - I like compiling from the ports so that I am
certain I get it linked against the right version of the libraries.

I used to start a compilation of kde before going on vacation though, it took
easily 15 hours on a duron 700.

I have switched to fluxbox since, which takes under 5 minutes to compile and
install and does what I need :)

Nick