11 Hour Installs on KDE?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sat Jun 28 13:08:02 PDT 2003

Marc Wiz wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 03:14:23PM -0400, Chuck Swiger wrote:
>>X is huge and bloated.  CDE was a graphic user environment designed by a
>>committee of Unix vendors: Sun had NeWS, OpenWindows, Motif/MWM and CDE
>>choose the latter rather than either of the former, HP had HP/UX and that
>>wretched bottom center console thing [a poor clone of the CMU 'wmc' console
>>under Andrew], who else?  AIX & 'smit'?  Anyway, since then, CDE has
>>pursued the goal of emulating aspects of the M$ Windows GUI.
>
> AIX & smit makes X huge and bloated?  Smit is an application which
> runs either curses or X for display purposes.  It is certainly not
> to blame for X being bloated.

No: MIT is to blame for X being huge and bloated.

I was wondering what other blighted aspects of various vendor OS'es that I could
point to that reminded me of the first impression I got of CDE, and 'smit' was
what came to mind when I considered AIX.  To put it mildly, I'd rather have
seperate dedicated tools than a jumbo swiss-army knife.  That way, I'd have lots
of tools which actually do their particular job well, rather than single tool
which doesn't do anything at all particularly well.

--
-Chuck