11 Hour Installs on KDE?

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Sat Jun 28 11:57:32 PDT 2003

Joe Pokupec wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I installed 5.1 on 2 separate machines yesterday. After the general install
> (which included all the Ports), I went to /usr/ports/x11/kde3 and did a:

What are these machines?  Processor?  RAM?

> make install clean after reading tfm.
>
> The install has been going for over 11 hours now. It's not hung up, the text
> is scrolling by... On both machines...
>
> Is there something I should know?

Yes, KDE is big ... Huge ... Like ... try to imagine more code than you
could ever imagine, and KDE might actually be bigger than that.  See ...
if you took the empire state building and put the statue of liberty on top
of it and put them both underneath the New River Gorge Bridge, the space
left over wouldn't be as big as KDE.  If you took all the code in KDE and
laid it end to end it would reach all the way to the sun, catch on fire and
burn your house down (although it would take 8 minutes for the fire to get
from the sun to your house, so you'd probably be able to get out in time)

The upshot is that KDE could easily take several days to compile if you're
dealing with less than hefty hardware.  Let us know the details of the
hardware and we'll make some guesses on how long it should take to compile.

> I can re-install 5.1, 5.0, or any version on these machines if necessary,
> but I'm somewhat curious about this huge length of install time...

I doubt the version of FreeBSD is the cause.  Use ALT+F2 to switch to
another console on one of the machines and run "top" to get an idea of
what's causing the problem.  If the build process is causing a lot of
swapping, it's probably going to take 6 or 7 years for KDE to build.

<disclaimer>
I am not an insurance salesman, if your house burns down due to anything
you've read in this email, I make no guarantees that your homeowner's
policy will cover it.
I'm also not responsible for personal injury or damage to the statue of
liberty caused by trying to balance it on top of the empire state building.
(I still say that damn thing sways when the wind blows!)
Do not try this at home.  Offer void where prohibited.
</disclaimer>

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies