Mask IP:port with Domain Name

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Jun 27 08:46:24 PDT 2003

John DeStefano wrote:
> Chuck Swiger wrote:
>> There's no way to avoid the port number in the URL, then.  Consider
>> switching to a provider that lets you host local services...
 >
> Does that then nullify your previous recommendations?

Nope.  It just means that you can only get one of the two things you asked for.

Of dynamic DNS?  Yes: www.dyndns.org.

> By hosting "local services", do you mean DNS?

No, I meant being able to run Apache on port 80.  You said you didn't want to
see IP or port number; the former can be solved by dynamic DNS, the latter can't
be solved if your ISP blocks port 80.

--
-Chuck