software packages

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Jun 26 14:13:05 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 04:34:33PM -0400, david wrote:
> Hi, I'm using freebsd 5.0 Jan 2003 series
>
> Since all files are downloaded to the /usr/ports/distfiles,
> I would like to know which software packages belong
> to what program. For example, I install mplayer and it
> downloaded mplayer and other files for it. Is it possible
> to know which of these files are for mplayer.

You can see what source code tarballs and other distfiles would be
downloaded for each port by changing to the port directory and running
'make -V DISTFILES':

    /usr/ports:% cd multimedia/mplayer
    ...ports/multimedia/mplayer:% make -V DISTFILES
    MPlayer-0.90.tar.bz2

Doing the reverse --- working out which port caused the distfile to be
downloaded is a little trickier.  Several ports may share a common
distfile -- generally the method is to look at the list of distfiles
you have and look at the list of ports you've installed and guess
which belongs to what.  Then use that make command line to confirm
your supposition.

Also if you've been updating your ports tree and your ports you can
find that you have several versions of a distfile hanging around your
drive.  Generally, only the latest one will be owned by a particular
port.  Check out portsclean(1) from the sysutils/portupgrade port for
a handy way to clean out old distfiles.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way