Help: can't send email from my box.

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Jun 26 09:56:13 PDT 2003

Supote Leelasupphakorn wrote:
[ ... ]
> My question are
> 1. Is it possible for sending emails from the host that hasn't run "sendmail"
> on it.

Sure, but you will have to use a program like pine or Mozilla, which lets you
configure it to use a remote SMTP host.

> 2. It seem "mail" try to connect SMTP on localhost.mytestdomain.com.  If I want
> "mail" connect to SMTP on the remote host (@mydomain.com's mail server),  or
> say I want to change my "outgoing mail host". How can I do this ?

The command-line mail program expects sendmail to be working locally; I don't
believe you can tell it not to connect to localhost.

To change your default mail host, look for the SMART_HOST directive in
/etc/mail/freebsd.mc...

--
-Chuck