Web Server not allowing external visitors

Gav... ipv6guru at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jun 26 04:05:59 PDT 2003

| First of all you have two different nats running. The ppp_nat="YES"
| option says use nat function of pppd  and natd_enable="YES" says to
| use NATD function of firewall. So you have nated your private lan ip
| address 2 times which is a user config error. You need option
| gateway_enable="YES" to pass packets to lan.  I would comment out to
| disable the firewall options until you have thinks working and them
| add firewall. To many things happening and you do not know who is at
| fault so limit testing to one thing at time. With apache server on
| gateway box you do not need port 80 forwarding.
|

| in /etc/rc.conf.
|
| ppp_nat="YES"
| gateway_enable="YES"
| defaultrouter="NO"
|
| #firewall_enable="YES"
| #firewall_type="OPEN"      //  (Yes I know but whilst testing!)
| #natd_enable="YES"
| #natd_interface="tun0"
| #natd_flags="-f /etc/natd.conf"

Ok, I did all this and lost all access to the internet from the other LAN
computers. - even with firewall disabled, ipfw is not letting anything
through.
It seems maybe that ppp_nat is not working or not fully configured, what are
all the files and options I need
to change for this to work properly?

When I boot the computer, the ADSL Modem automatically dials my ISP and
connects fine, but then to gain access to the internet properly I have to do
this:

killall natd
killall ppp
ppp -background adsl
natd -dynamic -n tun0

I can then access the internet fine  - without the natd line I can not
access the internet, I tried without this line.

So maybe a bit more firewall and natd config is required I dont know.?

As the Web Server at the moment then is on my FreeBSD machine I do not need
any kind of port forwarding, but maybe I still need to more IPFW rules?

At the moment one tester has reported that he is getting the following:-

 'Gateway Timeout ' error
A gateway timeout error has occured.The Server is unreachable, please retry
the request.
(GATEWAY_TIMEOUT)
Please contact the Administrator.

Any ideas, thanks for all the help so far.

Gav...

(Original message left intact for now for those that missed it first time)

---
Checked for Viruses (Viri) , Gav...