problem with hardware raid and freebsd

David Loszewski lists at bsdadmins.net
Wed Jun 25 07:42:08 PDT 2003

I have a Mylex AcceleRAID 160 with 2x 72GB U160 scsi harddrives.  I had setup a RAID 1 with the raid card on the two drives, I installed freebsd on the drives without a problem, however when I start freebsd back up both hd lights are solid as if they're working like crazy.  I then took the primary drive out and the system still ran without a problem so I knew that the raid was working.  But then when I put the drive back in for the drives to sync back up both hd lights went off and I got a kernel timeout error on the mylex card.  Any suggestions? I'm using FreeBSD 4.8.  If I upgrade to FreeBSD 5.1 would it fix this? I'm also willing to go to OpenBSD if that will fix the problem since I have experience in OpenBSD.

Dave