boot with GRUB

Robert Storey y2kbug at ms25.hinet.net
Tue Jun 24 15:30:06 PDT 2003

On 25 Jun 2003 00:12:57 +0200
Christian Laursen <xi at borderworlds.dk> wrote:

> Robert Storey <y2kbug at ms25.hinet.net> writes:
>
> > I recently installed 5.1-RELEASE - I was previously using 5.0.
> >
> > When I had 5.0, I could easily boot FBSD from GRUB using these
> > settings in my Linux's /boot/grub/menu.lst file:
> >
> >   title FreeBSD
> >   root (hd0,1,a)
> >   kernel /boot/loader
> >   boot
> >
> > These settings no longer work, and I get an error message that Linux
> > does not recognize this (FBSD's) filesystem.
>
> Is your / filesystem by any chance UFS2?
>
> I don't think GRUB can read that yet. UFS1 should be fine though.
> (It certainly works for me with FreeBSD 5.1)
>
> --
> Best regards
>     Christian Laursen

Dear Christian,

I believe you are right, my filesystem is UFS2. Changing the filesystem
back to UFS1 is probably more than I'd want to do, so I guess I'll stick
with booting using GAG (on a floppy or CDROM) until such time as GRUB
acquires the ability to boot UFS2.

Thanks for the fast response to my question.

best regards,
Robert