JDK on freebsd?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Jun 24 14:06:08 PDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 12:42:21PM -0700, Rev. Joe Doyle Ardent wrote:
> Marco Trentini wrote:
> >
> > Vincent Chen wrote:
> > > Hi, all
> > >
> > > I need a jsp engine on freebsd. One installation on
> > > linux from my office works great so far. What's the
> > > status and how stable JDK are on freebsd? Which jdk
> > > version will you recommend? Is there any ready-to-go
> > > package available or I must build it from port?
> >
> > There is a article suitable for this topic:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/java-tomcat/index.html
> >
> 	This is really fairly rediculous; is this the native FBSD JDK:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/java-tomcat/x35.html ?
>
> Why the dependancy on the Linux JDK?  Why bother with a "native" JDK if
> you need the Linux one, anyway, and can run it instead (via the
> already-required Linux compatibility)?

You need a linux JDK to do the first time installation of the native
JDK -- both for jdk13 and jdk14.  Once you've got a native jdk
compiled and installed, you can pkg_delete the linux jdk, and use the
native jdk to compile updated versions of itself (via the
NATIVE_BOOTSTRAP=yes make flag).  One of the really annoying things
about java is that you can't compile and install JDK 1.4.1 using any
flavour of JDK 1.3.1, so if you want both JDK versions, you've got to
go through the whole install process from scratch each time.

You need linux-compat as one of the linux JDK's dependencies.  Once
you have dispensed with the linux JDK you could probably dispense with
the whole linux compat stuff as well.  The native JDK works just fine
without.

On the other hand, if you've got a whole row of machines to install
jdk's on, so long as you aren't in any sense publishing an
unauthorized-by-Sun JDK, there's nothing to stop you going through the
download, install linux jdk, download, compile, install native jdk
rigmarole on just one of the machines, and then build your own package
of the native jdk to install on the other boxes.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way