Re-building sendmail

Bill Campbell freebsd at celestial.com
Mon Jun 23 20:06:24 PDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 12:58:20PM +1000, Martin Ryan wrote:
>> >What's the best way to rebuild sendmail with DB4?
>>
>> For an excellent fix for sendmail see:
>> 	http://www.postfix.org/
>>
>> Bill
>
>Bill,
>
>Have you ever had the experience where you ask a question related to some
>aspect of FreeBSD and some clever individual advises the best fix is to
>uninstall FreeBSD and install Linux?
>
>If so, what's your opinion of people who offer such "assistance" ?

I've had those experiences, and still say that given the security problems
and other issues with sendmail, I would strongly recommend replacing it
with an MTA that's more secure, easier to configure, and more efficient.

When I first connected our systems to the Internet over ten years ago, the
CERT advisories on sendmail were about the size of a Manhattan phone book.
Over the years, it has proven one of the most common sources of security
holes on *ix systems, although BIND had recently been vying for the title.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

``It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of
their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or
so incoherent that they cannot be understood.''
    -James Madison, Federalist Paper #62