data contained in ipfw show

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.no-ip.com
Mon Jun 23 14:05:21 PDT 2003

Andrew Thomson <ajthomson at optushome.com.au> writes:

> what's the max bytes ipfw show will record?
>
> 00010     422     44684 count ip from any to any out xmit tun0
> 00020     509     42556 count ip from any to any in recv tun0
>
> i dump and zero them on the hour atm but just curious.

A quick look at the source shows that they're 64-bit unsigned
counters, so (according to an equally quick back-of-the-envelope
calculation) each packet counter should be able to handle a few
dozen centuries' worth of the largest possible throughput of a
gigabit Ethernet.  The byte counters, obviously, are good for a lot
less; around half a century is the limit.

> also, /(1024*1024.0) would give me my mb yeah??

Right.