About Patches

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Jun 23 03:03:02 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 11:16:44AM +0200, Toni Schmidbauer wrote:

>                              i do not know if the latest security
> patches are backported to RELENG_4_7. maybe someone else on the
> list is more familiar with the various cvs branches. if the
> patches are _not_ backported i would recomment upgrading to
> RELENG_4_8 as mentioned in the excellent handbook.

Security patches are generated for all supported -RELEASE branches,
and optionally for older releases if the committer has time and the
severity of the problem warrants it.  I believe at least three release
branches will be considered "supported" at any one time -- generally
it's the last three releases branched from -STABLE, which at the
moment corresponds to 4.6.2-RELEASE, 4.7-RELEASE and 4.8-RELEASE.  As
new releases are made approximately every 4 months that implies that
each branch will be supported for up to 12 months.

The situation is somwhat complicated at the moment, with the existence
of the 5.x-RELEASE New Technology branches.  See

    http://www.freebsd.org/releng/index.html

for details, although that page is overdue for updating now that 5.1
has actually been released.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way