Xfree86 Config Problems

Viktor Lazlo viktorlazlo at telus.net
Mon Jun 23 01:44:48 PDT 2003

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 bsd at sleve.mailshell.com wrote:

> http://cgisleve.tripod.com/bsd/xfreebad.html is a web page of this info.
>
> XFree86 Configuration Problems
>     by Steve LeBlanc =A9 2003.6.22
> Installed FreeBSD for first time.  Text login was fine. NIC worked. Did a=
 telnet and ftp to computers on the Internet. All seemed to work except for=
 configuring XFree86. No screen found when I did startx. Below are the deta=
ils:

> The full commented files: XF86Config.txt and XFreelog.txt
>
> Settings
> XFree86 Ver:4.2.1 (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6600)
> Release Date: 3 September 2002
> Motherboard: ECS K7S5A, 40GB drive, 256 Ram
> OS: FreeBSD 5.0 RELEASE
> Video: S3 Savage2000 (generic) 64MB, 3D
> Monitor: Cornea MT1700 17" LCD H: 31.5-80, V: 56-75
>

> After install I tried both: xf86cfg -textmode and xf86config to
> reconfigure. I read the docs deeply and redid this 15 times, using the
> various command line tools. Each of the last 10 times, I typed in my
> settings and selected my Graphics card from the list. I just can't get
> startx to work. Below are my XF86Config file and my XFree log file, with
> comments removed.
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found

Check the handbook:

5.4.2 Configuring XFree86 4.X

   Configuration of XFree86 4.X is a multi-step process. The first step is =
   build an initial configuration file with the -configure option to XFree8=
6.
   As the super user, simply run:

     # XFree86 -configure

Cheers,