how many partitions on a slice?

Joel Rees joel at alpsgiken.gr.jp
Sun Jun 22 18:20:49 PDT 2003

>  FreeBSD has a maximum of 4 slices (BIOS or DOS partitions)
> per disk, each of which can contain up to 8 partitions

FYI, Lowell Gilbert told me that this limit of 8 freeBSD partitions to a
BIOS slice is a compiled-in constant, appearing to imply that one could
change the constant and re-compile. I haven't tried that yet, opting to
experiment with openBSD for a while instead.

--
Joel Rees, programmer, Kansai Systems Group
Altech Corporation (Alpsgiken), Osaka, Japan