accidently deleted user "www"

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Sun Jun 22 17:48:38 PDT 2003

> Hi
>
> i accidently deleted the user "www" and now my apache doesnt start. is there
> a fast way to solve this problem?

It seems like there are two possibilities of what you mean.
One is just that you deleted the id www out of your passwd file.
The other is that you really deleted user www which had lots of
necessary files.

The first is easy.  Just make yourself root and do a 'vipw'

Add in an entry for the user www.   You will need to have an idea of
what the UID, GID, home directory and shel should be.    But, armed
with that you can just copy one of the nearby lines and edit it with
the appropriate info for www and :wq out and voila, it will be there.

Note, the UID and GID must be correct, not just the id name.
I have them as 80:80 on some other machines.
The home directory might also have to be correct, depending on
how you have Apache set up/configured.   Ours is /nonexistant since
we really don't use that directory.  The shell probably only
matters if you log in as www for some things.   Ours is /bin/nologin.

If you had files under user www, then you are going to either have
to find some backups of recreate them.

Good lick,