Setup of a software RAID-1 to an existing system?

Thomas McIntyre temac at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 22 15:36:40 PDT 2003

Johan,

The canonical answer is to repost to freebsd-questions, which enjoys
a larger readership.  But I'll try -- your question is interesting
b/c I'm in the same boat, except w/ CURRENT.  As you said, breezing
through the handbook will show a lot of detail, but perhaps it does
not directly address mirroring a live fs.

Aside from the handwaving, you might check http://www.vinumvm.org/.
There seems to be a relevant (if a little dated) article:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/vinum/index.html

It may be possible to mirror partitions, even if half of it is live.
Were this not the case, it's prob possible to boot the install cdrom
and play some tricks with dd or dump to sync the disks.  Perhaps they
could then be mounted, vinum set up, and then booted into.

It would be fantastic if the freebsd installer had the ability to run
raid 1 right out the chute.  Doubtless, there's a number of us w/
legacy servers having two disks but no hardware raid.

Good luck.  Share your notes (at least to newbies) once you get it
working!

Regards,
Tom McIntyre