sendmail config for desktop

Gary Schenk gwschenk at socal.rr.com
Sat Jun 21 17:38:09 PDT 2003

I am running 4.7-RELEASE. When I installed freeBSD I made the localhost
name fuzz.

I am now attempting to get mutt running on this computer.

I cannot send email to the outside world. My email is rejected because
the doamin part of the address includes the localhost name "fuzz". So
instead of "gwschenk at socal.rr.com", which is what the ISP expects, mail
is sent out as being from "gwschenk at fuzz.socal.rr.com".

In one attempt to get things working, I edited freebsd.mc in a couple of
places. I defined 'SMART_HOST' as my isp, and included a line
MASQUERADE_AS('socal.rr.com'). I did make cf, and make install. After
running sendmail -q it gives me an error message in sendmail.cf "line
66: unknown configuration line "\n"

I used ee editor to go to line 66 and deleted what was apparently blank.
Now when I run sendmail -q it's as though nothing occurs, I don't even
get a mail message telling me my email was rejected.

How can I remove fuzz from my address? Dynamite? I have very little hair
left, and this day has been really rough on what is left. It's being
ripped out in big chunks. Sendmail documentation seems to be setup for
server configuration. I have not been able to find anything for a
standalone desktop that answers these questions. I've spent two days
studying about and configuring mutt. Should I just stick with kmail?

Thanks, I really needed to vent!
Gary

here is the error message:

Jun 21 17:32:05 fuzz sendmail[85]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root):
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 66: unknown configuration line "\n"

here is freebsd.mc:

divert(-1)
#
# Copyright (c) 1983 Eric P. Allman
# Copyright (c) 1988, 1993
#	The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
#
# Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
# modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
# are met:
# 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
#    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
# 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
#    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
#    documentation and/or other materials provided with the
distribution.
# 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
software
#    must display the following acknowledgement:
#	This product includes software developed by the University of
#	California, Berkeley and its contributors.
# 4. Neither the name of the University nor the names of its
contributors
#    may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this
software
#    without specific prior written permission.
#
# THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS''
AND
# ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
# IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE
# ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE REGENTS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE
LIABLE
# FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
CONSEQUENTIAL
# DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE
GOODS
# OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
# HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT,
STRICT
# LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY
WAY
# OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
# SUCH DAMAGE.
#

#
#  This is a generic configuration file for FreeBSD 4.X and later
systems.
#  If you want to customize it, copy it to a name appropriate for your
#  environment and do the modifications there.
#
#  The best documentation for this .mc file is:
#  /usr/share/sendmail/cf/README or
#  /usr/src/contrib/sendmail/cf/README
#

divert(0)
VERSIONID(`$FreeBSD: src/etc/sendmail/freebsd.mc,v 1.10.2.16 2002/05/22
16:39:14 gshapiro Exp $')
OSTYPE(freebsd4)
DOMAIN(generic)

FEATURE(access_db, `hash -o -T<TMPF> /etc/mail/access')
FEATURE(blacklist_recipients)
FEATURE(local_lmtp)
FEATURE(mailertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable')
FEATURE(virtusertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable')

MASQUERADE_AS('socal.rr.com') dnl

dnl Uncomment to allow relaying based on your MX records.
dnl NOTE: This can allow sites to use your server as a backup MX without
dnl       your permission.
dnl FEATURE(relay_based_on_MX)

dnl DNS based black hole lists
dnl --------------------------------
dnl DNS based black hole lists come and go on a regular basis
dnl so this file will not serve as a database of the available servers.
dnl For that, visit
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Internet/Abuse/Spam/Blacklists/

dnl Uncomment to activate Realtime Blackhole List
dnl information available at http://www.mail-abuse.com/
dnl NOTE: This is a subscription service as of July 31, 2001
dnl FEATURE(dnsbl)
dnl Alternatively, you can provide your own server and rejection
message:
dnl FEATURE(dnsbl, `blackholes.mail-abuse.org', `"550 Mail from "
$&{client_addr} " rejected, see http://mail-abuse.org/cgi-bin/lookup?"
$&{client_addr}')

dnl Dialup users should uncomment and define this appropriately
define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp-server.socal.rr.com') dnl

dnl Uncomment the first line to change the location of the default
dnl /etc/mail/local-host-names and comment out the second line.
dnl define(`confCW_FILE', `-o /etc/mail/sendmail.cw')
define(`confCW_FILE', `-o /etc/mail/local-host-names')

dnl Uncomment both of the following lines to listen on IPv6 as well as
IPv4
dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=IPv4, Family=inet')
dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=IPv6, Family=inet6')

define(`confBIND_OPTS', `WorkAroundBrokenAAAA')
define(`confMAX_MIME_HEADER_LENGTH', `256/128')
define(`confNO_RCPT_ACTION', `add-to-undisclosed')
define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `authwarnings,noexpn,novrfy')
MAILER(local)
MAILER(smtp)