Mount My Creation [ls -c, -t -u etc]

Joshua Oreman oremanj at webserver.get-linux.org
Sat Jun 21 08:47:24 PDT 2003

On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 12:41:36AM -0400 or thereabouts, Peter Leftwich seemed to write:
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Patrick O'Reilly wrote:
> > > I have noticed in the man page for 'find' that the primaries allow
> > > selection based on time last "accessed", last "modified" and last
> > > "change" of status.  Evidently this info is held somewhere.  I don't
> > > have more info off hand, but perhaps this will nudge you in a useful
> > > direction?
> > > Patrick.
> > And see 'man ls' and the switches -c, -t and -u.
>
> I was aware of and often use the -t switch (in a tcsh alias), but these
> have to do with sorting.  What if I wanted to see (maybe not as output from
> a single command but a few) the creation date, last modification date, and
> last access time for a directory?  What are the command lines I'd use (to
> include "." files and NOT recursively list within a/the directory)?

Include . files   - ls -a
Don't recurse     - DON'T include -R
Inode change time - ls -lc
Last modified     - ls -l
Last accessed     - ls -lu

Note that there is no "creation time" - it's actually just the inode change
time. So it will change when you make a new link to the file, for example,
or when you set any of the file's times other than last modified, with
`touch'.

-- Josh