dhclient filling up my logfiles

Hasse webmaster at swedehost.com
Fri Jun 20 16:53:54 PDT 2003

On Friday 20 June 2003 21.55, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Hasse <webmaster at swedehost.com> writes:
> > On Thursday 19 June 2003 17.47, Hasse wrote:
> > > Hi everybody.
> > > Running FreeBSD 4.8-Stable.
> > > I'm connected to the internet by ADSL and dynamic IP.
> > > Dhcp-client keeps filling up my /var/log/messages.
> > > Makes a log-entry every 10th minute.
> > >
> > > <snip>
> > > Jun 19 17:35:56 odin dhclient: New Network Number: 217.209.211.0
> > > Jun 19 17:35:56 odin dhclient: New Broadcast Address: 217.209.211.255
> > > Jun 19 17:44:48 odin dhclient: New Network Number: 217.209.211.0
> > > Jun 19 17:44:48 odin dhclient: New Broadcast Address: 217.209.211.255
> > > </snip>
> > >
> > > I'm running it with a practically empty dhclient.conf file.
> > > Only added one line to preserve my resolv.conf file.
> > > prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
> > >
> > > According to the man-page dhclient(8), it's possible to
> > > add a "-q" switch to only log errors.
>
> No, that's not what the man page says the option does.  That option
> keeps anything but errors being sent to standard error; it has no
> relationship to the system log.
>
> > > <snip>
> > >  The client normally prints a startup message and displays the
> > > protocol sequence  to  the  standard  error  descriptor until it has
> > > acquired an address, and then only logs messages using  the  syslog
> > > (3)  facility. The  -q flag prevents any messages other than errors
> > > from being printed to the standard error descriptor.
> > > </snip>
>
> Read that again to see what I mean.
Ahh.. sorry :-)

> > > Check the lease file you're receiving, if it has a rediculously short
> > > lease time complain to your provider.
>
> This was obviously the situation.

I'll stay put for a week or so, just to see if it goes back to normal due to
some upgrades or any other fishy stuff at my ISP.
It's not really a problem, just annoying.

> > This excessive logging behavior started for about 4 days ago.
> > At least, thats when I got aware of it.
> > Everything is working just fine, except for this.
> > My IP-address hardly ever change. I've had the same one for nearly a year
> > now. There got to be a way to tell it to only log errors, not every
> > connection, but I don't know how.
> > I was looking for a way in the syslog.conf, but I have very little
> > understanding for that tool. ( not a clue ).
> > Any more hints or clues would be preciated.
>
> Pick the dhclient messages up in a different log file.
>
> Something like (untested):
> !dhclient
> *.*     /var/log/dhcpd

That did not work for me, if I did the right things.
Edited syslog.conf and added the above.
touch /var/log/dhcpd
added the following to newsyslog.conf
/var/log/dhcpd                          644  3     100  @T00  Z
rebooted

> > This is a snip from my lease file :
> > lease {
> >   interface "xl0";
> >   fixed-address 217.209.211.129;
> >   option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
> >   option time-offset 3600;
> >   option routers 217.209.211.1;
> >   option dhcp-lease-time 1200;
>
> Yep, your lease time is 10 minutes long.
>
> >   option dhcp-message-type 5;
> >   option domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1,10.0.0.1,10.0.0.2;
> >   option dhcp-server-identifier 10.0.113.1;
> >   option broadcast-address 217.209.211.255;
> >   renew 5 2003/6/20 12:18:03;
> >   rebind 5 2003/6/20 12:26:08;
> >   expire 5 2003/6/20 12:28:38;
> > }
>
> Try setting your dhclient.conf to ask for a longer lease.  If that
> fails, pull the dhclient messages into another file...

Will do.
Thx everybody.

Regards
   Hasse