FreeBSD NIS Server/Slave && DES

Mike Hogsett hogsett at csl.sri.com
Thu Jun 19 11:41:04 PDT 2003

The FreeBSD Handbook section 19.8.11 appears to be out of date.  The
output of the method shown to see if the FreeBSD box is using DES or MD5
has no resemblance to what I see on my box.

How do I configure FreeBSD to use DES?  Specifically if I run a FreeBSD
NIS master how do I get rpc.yppasswdd and yppasswd to play nice?

If I run yppasswd on my FreeBSD NIS client my password entry in our
password file on the NIS master ends up with an MD5 password so I can no
longer log into my Solaris NIS client.

 - Mike Hogsett