mount msdos partition with user id?

Joe Altman fj at panix.com
Thu Jun 19 11:23:21 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 01:31:50AM -0600, Zhang Le wrote:
> Hello,
>   I just move from linux to bsd and have a question on mounting
partition with a specific user id. The following command does not
work:
>   root@:/home/zl/etc# mount -t msdos -o uid zl /dev/ad0s1 /d
>   msdos: -o uid : option not supported
>
>   but "mount -t msdos /dev/ad0s1 /d" works.
>
>   I have to su root each time I want to write something to /d. This is of course very boring.

Would a change of permissions on the drive help, along with the
appropriate entry in /etc/fstab and an addition to group wheel?

Here is what I remember doing:

1) created the entry in /etc/fstab to mount the drive at boot,
   something like:

   /dev/ad1s1c      /msdos   ufs     rw       2       2

NB: I had to create the /msdos directory, of course. I didn't want to
use /mnt, for some reason. But you could use /mnt, if you wish.

2) changed perms on the mount point to 77x, which was owned by
   root:wheel

3) put me in group wheel

I think this is what I did, and was all that was needed, and I could
modify the contents at will. Unfortunately, it was some time ago that
I did this, so it's possible I left something out.

HTH.

--
Free the West Memphis Three
http://www.wm3.org/