NFS weirdness...

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Jun 19 06:54:21 PDT 2003

[Please configure your email program so it stops mutilating your emails.]

jle wrote:
>>jle said:
>>
>>>My new web server won't mount NFS from fstab on reboot.
>>>

>>>on NFSD: (/etc/exports)
>>>/home2           -maproot=0 -alldirs     httpd
>>>
>>>on HTTPD: (/etc/fstab)
>>>NFSD:/home2              /home           nfs     rw,bg           0 0
>
>>><manually mounting works>
>>>mount NFSD:/home2 /home
>>>
>>>Works fine until I reboot. Shouldn't it mount by itself? What am I
>
> missing
>
>>>now? Why doesn't HTTPD mount NFSD:/home2 on /home when it reboots? I
>
> see
>
>>>no errors in messages on either machine. Both are 5.1-CURRENT.
>>>
>>>TIA
>>
>>I had the same problem. I found it was due to named starting after the
>>mount was attempted and so it couldn't resolve the name of the nfs
>
> server.
>
>>I changed the fstab to the ip address instead and it worked fine. An
>>example from my fstab:
>>
>>192.168.1.10:/usr/src   /usr/src        nfs     rw,soft,intr,nfsv3,tcp  0
>
>      0
>
>>Give that a go.
>>
>>Regards, Matt.
>
> I did try that as my named was starting after "Mounting NFS file systems"
> too but it still wouldn't mount that line from fstab. It still mounts fine
> manually but not automatically on reboot like it should. It's probably
> something like a flag in rc.conf that I'm missing or some other little
> thing but I'm just not finding it. Thanks for trying. Anyone else with an
> idea?

As a diagnostic step:
Boot up the system, and then try to manually mount the filesystem with
the command 'mount /usr/src'.  If this works ... it pretty much confirms
that your /etc/fstab syntax is correct.  If it doesn't work, focus on
/etc/fstab as the problem.

HTH.

--
Bill Moran