Spamassassin question [was Re: Do I have an open relay?]

AndreasWiderøeAndersen awand at pragma.no
Thu Jun 19 06:36:48 PDT 2003

At 09:50 19.06.2003 -0300, Fernando Gleiser wrote:
>On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Andreas Widerøe Andersen wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I'm a bit nervous here. Recently I've started getting 20-25 mails to my
> > Postmaster account on my FreeBSD 4.8RC server running Sendmail
> > 8.12.8/8.12.8 each day with a message to Postmaster that the mail could not
> > be delivered.
>
>Sendmail by default does not relay, unless you enable PROMICUOUS_RELAY.
>To test if you have an open relay, go to: http://www.abuse.net/relay.html
>and run a test against your server.
>
>It may be a "rumplestinkin attack", the spammers are trying to guess
>account names in your server, postmaster gets a copy of the bounce. Look
>at the logs for the full info.

Thanks!
All tests performed, no relays accepted. My access file only contains a
list of domains I reject:

## $FreeBSD $
##
## Mail relay access control list.  Default is to reject mail unless the
## destination is local, or listed in /etc/mail/sendmail.cw
##
#cyberspammer.com               550 We don't accept mail from spammers
#FREE.STEALTH.MAILER@           550 We don't accept mail from spammers
#another.source.of.spam         REJECT
#okay.cyberspammer.com          OK
#128.32                         RELAY
bossgame.com                    550 We don't accept mail from spammers
intellectualfantasy.com         550 We don't accept mail from spammers
... and so on...

Will Spamassassin only work on mails that are delivered to account on the
server it runs (locally), or can it also work for mailinglists in Ie.
/etc/mail/aliases that are being forward to other mailaccounts around the
globe?

/Andreas

---
Andreas Widerøe Andersen <awand at pragma.no>