OT question releated to networking ...

Kevin Stevens Kevin_Stevens at pursued-with.net
Wed Jun 18 21:18:19 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003, at 20:52 US/Pacific, faisal gillani wrote:

Please don't remove the list from the Reply-To: header...

> Well i am currently running a 75 clients PC network ..
> so my net will be
> merging a 120 Computer network & the total computer
> network will be 240+ all
> of em will be on a single subnet ..
> is that a good idea ?

Probably not, depending on the infrastructure and traffic you could
have performance issues, and even if not that's a large and ugly
broadcast domain, as well as not very secure.

> the networks usage is internet , some multimedia
> content hosted on local web
> servers , streaming , email server ..

You'd probably be better served by separating the server functions onto
one subnet and breaking the client population up into two or three
groups.  Obviously this is generic information as you didn't provide
specifics.  As you noted, this is off-topic for the freebsd list; I
suggest you look at Cisco's site for some whitepapers on network
topology and implementation.

Whatever.

KeS