Mount My Creation

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Wed Jun 18 20:21:08 PDT 2003

In the last episode (Jun 18), Peter Leftwich said:
> Ponder this...  Why is it "/etc/fstab" and not "/etc/mount.conf" ??

It's a shortcut for "filesystem table", I believe.  fsck, dump,
edquota, swapon and tunefs use it too.  See the fstab manpage for more
info.

> Ponder this...  Why does M$FT Windows have Created, Accessed, and
> Modified, while UNIX (beware of unresearched, wide-sweeping
> generalizations...) only provides one the "Last modified" date and
> time stamp?

All ufs-based filesystems I've ever seen support accessed, modified,
and inode-changed (metadata) timestamps.  ufs2 (5.x's default
filesystem) also apparently supports a "birth" timestamp, which
probably corresponds with windows' Create.  See the stat(2) manpage for
more details.

> PS - Please CC: me in your reply!

Standard procedure for these lists.

--