Two DNS servers with one IP address

Chris Shenton chris at shenton.org
Tue Jun 17 19:15:39 PDT 2003

JacobRhoden <jrhoden at unimelb.edu.au> writes:

> On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:52 am, Alfonso Romero wrote:
> > Is it possible to have two DNS servers with only one public IP address? I
> > have a FreeBSD gateway connected to the Internet with a DSL modem, using
> > natd to connect the other PCs on my LAN, and was wondering if I could have
> > two DNS servers to register domain names.
>
> No its not. If you really wanted two seperate nameservers on 1 machine (which
> are both accessable to the world) you will need to have two static ips at
> that box.

What are you trying to do?  Serve one set of data to the Internet
(world) and a different set to your internal LAN?  This is common for
hiding internal host/address information. It's usually called "split
dns" or "split brain" or "split horizon".

I believe BIND can do this, but I haven't used it for this.  I've been
using the "djbdns" suite which has this built in.  Each record can be
tagged with a label which can be associated with a set of addresses
(e.g., inside LAN, anyone else) and it will reveal or hide that record
based on the requestor's address.    djbdns is a rather different
architecture than BIND   so if you're used to BIND it's a bit of a
learning curve.  If you're not wedded to BIND, you might be interested
in djbdns.  Check www.djbdns.org, the record label you want is the
percent sign.