dualboot, first fbsd, then xp

Doug Poland doug at polands.org
Tue Jun 17 05:47:40 PDT 2003

Matthew Seaman said:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 10:40:48PM +0200, Tobias Roth wrote:
>
>> Is it save to install WinXP after FreeBSD? My IBM recovery cd goofed
>> up my WinXP and I'd like to reinstall XP only and keep my existing
>> FreeBSD slices intact. Same goes for the MBR, of course.
>>
>> And yes, I will back up my data in any case, but I'd still hate it if
>> I had to set up my whole system again.

I just did a similar dual-boot machine this weekend.  Box has a single 35GB IDE disk.
Used FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE to delete old micosoft partitions, create a 12GB UFS slice
and 27GB "FAT" slice.  Installed and config'd fbsd on UFS.  Then did Win2K on the FAT
(converted to NTFS) slice.  I use GRUB as bootloader as Win2K overwrites boot sector.
The whole process is quite straight forward and safe.  I've done 1/2 dozen similar
configurations in the last 6 months with a mix of FreeBSD/Win2K-XP.

HTH,

Doug