restrictive ipfw ruleset and ftp

bsd at perimeter.co.za bsd at perimeter.co.za
Tue Jun 17 05:45:35 PDT 2003

Jaime writes:

> 	IIRC, FTP sends its replies on TCP port 20.  I can't recall if
> that is port 20 on the remote or local host, though.  A little
> experimentation and you'll probably figure it out.  (hint:  netstat -nf
> inet)

That's true of "non-passive" mode connections (FTP server port 20 to FTP
Client port 1024-65535), but I suspect the original poster is trying to
permit passive mode connections.

PS: does anyone know what the correct terminology for FTP's "non-passive"
mode is?  I sometimes refer to "active" mode when talking FTP (because that
term somehow got stuck in my head once upon a time), but I usually get some
very curious/confused looks when I talk about "active FTP"...  :)

Patrick.