dualboot, first fbsd, then xp

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Mon Jun 16 18:01:25 PDT 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 01:53:54 +0200, Alex de Kruijff
<freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 10:15:05PM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
[snip]
>> Hmmm... It's a long time since I had any dealings with a Microsoft OS,
>> but I seem to remember that they always preferred to go in the first
>> partition (slice, in FreeBSD parlance) on the drive.  Dunno if that's
>> still true.
>>

> That goes for most OS out there. If the boot record are at a certain ....
> (fill in the rigth unity and value) then the system simply don't
> startup. FreeBSD has some filesystems that you wanna have a the front
> of the disk because of the performance. I recond the best thing to do is
> create tree or four partions. Two for FreeBSD and one or two for XP.
>
> The first partions holds / (128M) , the swap (2x mem, of 1x mem if you
> got two disks) and /var (256M). The secord partion hold the XP fs. The
> thirth hold the rest of FreeBSD fs and the fourth old more for XP if you
> are likly to experiance problems. (aka have the second partion in the
> dainger zone)
>
> Alex

Windows 2000 seems to want to be installed in the first primary partition
unless one's dual-booting with Win98, in which case Win2K makes an extended
partition on the disk for both Wins, then a logical partition in which to
install itself, in spite of the user's (or at any rate, my) best attempts
to have it otherwise.  Whether WinXP is similar I wouldn't know, but why
try anything else (than installing to the first slice/partition) other than
for the sake of experimentation?

Re what Alex suggests, it sounds like you have your FreeBSD setup already
done, so I'll just note his preferences are different enough than others
I've seen suggested here that (1) Googling this mailing list and (2)
reading a few modern references (e.g., the Handbook and the new 4th edition
of Greg Lehey's "The Complete FreeBSD" - I'm sure there are other good
sources as well) will provide varying and possibly beneficial perspectives
for anyone who *is* setting up a FreeBSD system.  Hmm - "danger zone"?

Jud