free?

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Mon Jun 16 13:35:29 PDT 2003

> I'm a bit confused -- your website clearly states that freeBSD is a free
> OS, yet each of the sites that offer the CD charge money for it.  Am I
> missing something here?

Yes.   You are missing that those companies that are shipping CDs are
recovering costs and supporting the FreeBSD organization by offering
a more convenient (for some) way of acquiring the FreeBSD distribution.

If you want it free with no charge, follow the instructions on the
site for downloading either the floppy images and putting them on
floppy disk or the ISO image and burning it on CD and using one of
these sets to install the whole FreeBSD _for free_ over the net.
You do not have to buy a Cd set (other than some blanks for your
own burning) to get FreeBSD.

////jerry