got load > 1 but no CPU state is showing?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Jun 16 10:20:08 PDT 2003

Stijn Hoop wrote:
> On a lightly loaded server top is misbehaving: it continuously shows all
> CPU states at 0.0% yet my load varies from 0.50 to about 3. Is there
> any explanation for this?

Maybe.  :-)  I was going to say that on fast machines, it's not unusual for
processes which start up and then finish quickly to go away before top "sees"
them, but you still see the effect in the aggregate system load.  However, that
doesn't explain this line:

 > CPU states:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  0.0% system,  0.0% interrupt,  0.0% idle

Clutching at straws, maybe top can't read /dev/kmem or something?
Try doing a "MAKEDEV all" in /dev...

-Chuck