Gnumeric2 Won't Print Properly

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Fri Jun 13 22:36:45 PDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 14:27, Scott Reese wrote:
> Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-06-12 at 17:13, Scott Reese wrote:
> >
> >>[Please cc: me in any replies as I'm not currently subscribed to this
> >>list.  Thank you.]
> >>
> >>I can't get Gnumeric to print a simple spreadsheet properly.  It uses
> >>a font other than the one I've specified (I specified Helvetica and
> >>it's trying to use a different font for printing for some reason...the
> >>font it's trying to use also happens to be the first one in the font
> >>list, if that datapoint helps at all) and the cells come out blank or
> >>as little squares (this may be due in part to the limitations of the
> >>font that Gnumeric is trying to print with, though).  Any ideas on how
> >>to fix this or on who to bug to get this fixed?
> >>
> >>I'm running 5.1-RELEASE and I'm using Gnome 2 for my windowing system.
> >>  Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
> >

> > What version of Gnumeric are you using?  How do you know what font is
> > being used for printing?
>
> I'm using version 1.1.19 (upgraded to this version last night hoping
> to fix the problem, but no joy).  I know what font it's using because
> the font it's using is a highly stylized true type font that I have
> installed and it's pretty distinctive.  Curiously, in further poking
> around, I've noticed that if I double-click on a text field in the
> spreadsheet, the text in the cell that I've selected becomes the
> sylized font (called Abaddon) and when I deselect it, it goes back to
> Helvetica which is what I've told it to use in the first place.  This
> is very curious behavior.

I agree.  I have 1.1.19, and I can't reproduce this behavior.  I have a
spreadsheet done in Arial.  My default font is Bitstream Serif.  When I
click on a cell, the cell remains Arial.  Only when I select
Format->Cell->Font can I turn it to something else.  Printing also seems
to work quite well to HP LaserJets.

You may want to comb through gconf-editor, and look at the Gnumeric
settings, and see if something jumps out at you as being strange.  If
so, click on the key, and select "Unset key."  (For example, under
/apps/gnumeric/printing).

Joe