Strange problem with "make clean"

Alessandro de Manzano ale at unixmania.net
Fri Jun 13 14:57:49 PDT 2003

On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 12:06:50AM +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> > Stop in /usr/src/secure/usr.bin/openssl.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> This means that either /usr/obj/usr/src/secure/usr.bin/openssl
> or /usr/src/secure/usr.bin/openssl have the "openssl" file,
> where it's supposed to be a directory in /usr/obj/...

> rm -r /usr/obj/usr/src/secure/usr.bin/openssl

Oh, I really did not think about it !
I should know that "make clean" would remove _object_ files, not source
! sigh! ;(

Good, on next monday I'll try it ;)

> Note that "make clean" is only guaranteed to work if the
> object tree was populated using this same sources; everything
> else is not guaranteed to work, and "make cleandir" is
> advised instead, though even this may break when the types
> of some files change from "file" to "directory", like has
> happened with /usr/obj/usr/src/secure/usr.bin/openssl/openssl.

ah ok. However my obj tree should have been correctly populated since I
did a cvsup-build-install before trying clean.

> Are you perhaps downgrading from 5.x?

Nope, these are 4.0-rel binary-installed machines upgraded time after
time via cvsup to 4.8 :-) (oh I really *love* FreeBSD for this :)) )

Many thanks for your answer! I'll try it and I'll report the result for
the archives :-)

--

bye!

Ale