imap

K Anderson freebsduser at attbi.com
Fri Jun 13 11:06:10 PDT 2003

Brian Henning wrote:
> Greetings:
> working on setting up an imap server for freebsd.
>
> I am trying to use this port:
> imap-uw
> i did a make with -DWITHOUT_SSL
>
> i then edited my /etc/inetd.conf by adding the line.
> imap4 stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/libexec/imapd imapd
> killall -HUP inetd to restart all my inetd services.
> i tested to see if the server is up by trying
> telnet <host> 143
> everything is good except when i try to login
>
> i try to login as a regular user of the system and i get auth errors.
> do i have to set up accounts inorder to use the imap server?
> any thoughts?
>
> thanks,
> brian

Woa, easy on the send button. :)

Now don't quote me on this, but I think by default imap-uw doesn't allow
plain-text logins like you are trying. However, there is a configuration
setting, or actually several, that you have to do.

I would suggest going to the imap-uw website and reading their FAQ and
the documentation.

HTH