Assigning a PID to a given program?

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Fri Jun 13 10:59:55 PDT 2003

> Regreatably it was long enough back that I can't remember which ones it
> was.  One I think might have been in question was when I was rebuilding
> my sendmail configs.  When the script tried to bounce sendmail it tried
> to do it by PID.

It does this and several other utilities do this.  But, the way they
do it is to write their pid in to a file when they start up and then
if the script needs to HUP or kill them,  it gets the PID out of the
file.   So thus, the PID is not fixed for all time, just for that
instance of the program startup.   Any of these I have worked on
have a config option to say where that PID file lives if you don't
like the default.

////jerry