Question about filesystems

Mack Lobell macklobell at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 13 10:21:05 PDT 2003

Hi,

i just purchased a 120G hdd and are now fumbling around with filesystems. I
followed section 2.3 in the "Formatting Media For Use With FreeBSD" article
when i created the new filesystem. I will mainly store large files >5M.

If i use UFS1 df -H gives:
Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad2c     122G   2.0K   112G     0%    /mnt/test

If i use UFS2 df -H gives:
Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad2c     120G   2.0K   110G     0%    /mnt/test

Questions:
Is there a way to reduce the overhead from 10G?

Is there a good reason to use UFS2, i will lose 2G?

Regards