How to tailor installation set?

Steve Coile scoile at nandomedia.com
Fri Jun 13 06:43:28 PDT 2003

I'm relatively new to FreeBSD, having come into a position administering
it only a few months ago.  My experience is primarily with Red Hat Linux
and Solaris.  Please bear with me.

On several other Unix variants which which I have experience, I could
safely remove components of the operating system using the package
management system.

For instance, if I don't want Emacs installed, I could instruct the
package management system (e.g. RPM) to remove Emacs, and all of the
files associated with Emacs would be removed.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to find a way to remove individual
components from FreeBSD.  I noticed that I can choose not to install some
(broad-based) components at the initial system installation.

Is there a way to cleanly remove select components from the system
after installation?

--
Steve Coile