Possibly Silly Samba Configuration Question

Scott R. reverend at sfmidimafia.com
Fri Jun 13 00:28:36 PDT 2003

[please cc: me in any replies as I'm not currently subscribed to this
list.  Thank you.]

I recently did a clean install of FreeBSD 4.8 on my gateway/firewall
box.  Unfortunately, I did not have the foresight to save my old
smb.conf file for Samba before I reinstalled the OS (silly me).  I use
Samba to provide one shared folder full of music, movies, etc. to my
internal network at home and previously had it set up to where anyone
inside could browse or write to it (meaning I just "trust everyone" on
my network).  I didn't remember this being terribly difficult as this
configuration should be incredibly simple to achieve but I was wrong.

My current smb.conf looks like this:

[global]
	workgroup = MYWORKGROUP
	netbios name = MYGATEWAYBOX
	security = SHARE
	hosts allow = 192.168.0.

[Shared]
	path = /u1
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes

/u1 is a separate partition that acts as a network storage drive.  Is
there something I'm missing here?  This serves to allow me access to
browse the folder, but I get an access denied error when I try to copy
anything to it.  Just for giggles, I tried telling Windows (XP Pro) to
"connect as a different user" and put in my log in info (same as my
regular log in on the box), but I see that I'm still logged in and
browsing the share as a guest (nobody) which I thought was a bit odd.
I'm using Samba 3.0 Alpha 20.  Before the re-install, I had this working
perfectly.

Thanks,
Scott