network settings auto-config

John DeStefano deesto at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 12 06:26:07 PDT 2003

Thanks Lowell; but a solution be to change something in /etc/rc.conf instead?
Pete pointed me toward /etc/rc.conf, which contains the following line:
ifconfig_dc0="DHCP"
Seeing this made me remember something: someone once told me that commenting this line out would keep DHCP from running.  While that is somewhat true, it also killed my whole NIC interface!  So the solution must be not to comment it out, but to change the variable value "DHCP" to something else.  I've been searching for proper values but haven't seen them anywhere yet, but I did see the following in "man rc.conf":
 pccard_ifconfig
                 (str) List of arguments to be passed to ifconfig(8) at boot
                 time or on insertion of the card (e.g. ``inet 192.168.1.1
                 netmask 255.255.255.0'' for a fixed address or ``DHCP'' for a
                 DHCP client).
             It is possible to bring up an interface with DHCP by setting
                 the ifconfig_<interface> variable to ``DHCP''.  For instance,
                 to initialize the ed0 device via DHCP, it is possible to use
                 something like:
                 ifconfig_ed0="DHCP"

So the line in my config file matches the man page, but the man page doesn't say what other variables are available that won't break the interface.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
~John

Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.no-ip.com> wrote:
John DeStefano writes:

> Is there another file/setting that's being consulted somewhere at boot time? Gary mentioned it may be due to a smbd, netbios-ssn, or DCHP setting, but he's unfamiliar with those services.

Add some overrides to the dhclient.conf(5) file to put in your
preferred DNS server. I use the "prepend" modifier, but you
might want "supersede" instead.