X TrueType font spacing

Jesse D. Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Wed Jun 11 07:28:33 PDT 2003

Malcolm Kay wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 22:52, Jesse D. Guardiani wrote:
>> parv wrote:
>> > in message <bc5h87$nb8$1 at main.gmane.org>, wrote Jesse D. Guardiani
>> > thusly...

[...]

>> Perhaps I should subscribe to a XFree86 mailling list and ask there.
>>

> This looks like the effect I get if I (wrongly) use a proportional font in
> an application that is designed to use a fixed width font -- the effect is
> not restricted to TTF.

Well, I can open a Konqueror window using the Luxi Sans TTF and everything
looks great (Luxi Sans is proportional, I think), but when I switch to
Courier New, some of the text in Konq is screwed up in the way I explain
above.

I think you may be on to something there, but I don't think it's that
simple. I think there is something wrong with the way the Windows XP fonts
are described to X with the fonts.scale and fonts.dir files or something.

Has ANYONE here installed windows fonts in their X server? Have you had this
problem? If not, could you send me instructions for installing windows fonts
under X so that I can compare them with the methods I use?

Thanks.

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,