gnitiev@nashe.ru

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Jun 11 03:07:53 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 10:13:14AM +0100, Supote Leelasupphakorn wrote:
> Hello,
>
>    I heard that RELENG_4 is not always able to compile
> correctly because it's source are updated so often.
>   I recommend you, in production to cvsup only
> RELENG_4_7 or RELENG_4_8 or RELENG_4_X where "X" is
> minor version number.

In principle, that's absolutely true.  In practice, however,
compilation killing or other nasty errors in RELENG_4 are as rare as
hen's teeth and generally get fixed very promptly.  It's a great
testament to the ability and care of the FreeBSD committers that it
should be so.  If you follow the freebsd-stable at ... list, you'll get
very fast notification of any problems in the tree.

As you say, the 4.x-RELEASE branches offer even more stability.  This
branch structure was invented specifically for the support of
production systems (ie. those systems where "not running" implies
"loss of revenue") but they're also an excellent choice for general
use.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way