FreeBSD 5.0-p6 recently started crashing regularly (panic: kmem_malloc(4096): kmem_map too small:)

segr at shaw.ca segr at shaw.ca
Wed Jun 11 02:31:16 PDT 2003

Hi,

I've been running a box 5.0-RELEASE system since january and have updated the patches to -p6.  I just recently started having problems with the system crashing.

It started this past saturday...

The server has crashed at the following times:

June 7 @ 5:29
June 9 @ 3:04
June 10 @ 3:07
June 11 @ 3:06

Nothing seemed to be capturing anything in the logs, so on June 11th, I stayed up and watched the server carefully... and sure enough it crashed at 3:06 am... I managed to catch this on the console before the system went down.

panic: kmem_malloc(4096): kmem_map too small: 275378176 total allocated
cpuid = 3; lapic.id = 07000000
boot() called on cpu#3
syncing disks, buffers remaining... panic: bwrite: buffer is not busy???
cpuid = 3; lapic.id = 07000000
boot() called on cpu#3
Uptime: 23h41m49s
Terminate ACPI
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
Rebooting...
cpu_reset called on cpu#3
cpu_reset: Stopping other CPUs
cpu_reset: Restarting BSP
cpu_reset_proxy: Stopped CPU 3

I haven't seen the above before... and don't have the slightest idea why it just started... the system at the time was running "periodic daily" and processing some mail in the queue (sendmail).  It was also serving a couple http requests that were accessing the mysql database which is local and a mysql slave server was slaving that data.... this setup has been running since january and the tasks running at the time of the latest crash are normal for this time of night.

Here are the hardware specs:
http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/SUPERServer/SuperServer6012P-6.htm
dual 2.2Ghz Xeon w/ 4Gigs of RAM

Let me know if I can provide any further data to help resolve this problem... I suspect the system will "crash" again in 24 hours.

Thanks,
Stephane.