Booting using serial console

Uwe Doering gemini at geminix.org
Wed Jun 11 01:00:17 PDT 2003

Gary Aitken wrote:
> Well, nothing like feeling like a blind person...
>
> I'm trying to boot / install 4.5 on a headless system.
>
> I've made the serial console boot floppies, but get no response when I
> try to use them.
> [...]
>
> boot.config looks like:
>  /boot/loader -h

I could be wrong, but isn't 'boot.config' supposed to contain only
arguments you would otherwise enter at the boot prompt?  So it should be
just a single '-h'.  I have a '-P' in that file, for instance, and it
works as expected.

> When the machine tries to boot, how does it determine the baud rate to
> use on the com1 port, assuming it is properly listening there?  I'm
> guessing the baud rates of the machine and the terminal are mismatched.

'sio0' in the kernel config needs a 'flags 0x10' directive in order to
make COM1 a (potential) console port.  Default speed is 9600 bit/s.

    Uwe
--
Uwe Doering         |  EscapeBox - Managed On-Demand UNIX Servers
gemini at geminix.org  |  http://www.escapebox.net