Changing font sizes in X

Joel Rees joel at alpsgiken.gr.jp
Tue Jun 10 23:07:08 PDT 2003

> My problem seemed to be from my desire to have an 800 X 600 display which I can read, even without my glasses, instead of the 1280 X 1024 my monitor is capable of displaying.  With the higher resolution display, I was able to launch an X server, and loaded up Gnome with enlightenment.  Now I have these itty-bitty little menus and icons which I can only read by tilting my head back and looking through the bottom of my bi-focals.  I am an old man, and the neck doesn't flex like it did when I only had to read a 40 column monochrome screen.
>
> How can I enlarge my fonts/menus/icons without giving up the high resolution needed for all the pictures of the grand-kids?

Maybe this will help:

    http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/thread.php3?subject=Changing+Font+size&list=263
    http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/msg.php3?msg_id=5046066&list=263
    http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/msg.php3?msg_id=5060230&list=263

Found it after searching for "gnome font size" on google. Also tried
"XFree86 font size", but after reading several pages that turned up with
that, I remembered that the settings you're most interested in would be
for window/desktop managers.

You may have to go hunting again in your apps documentation, too.

<flame-bait level="possible">
If you'd be willing to change your hardware, Mac OS X is great for
end-user, and no slouch for a lot of the tech stuff.
</flame-bait>

But you do miss out a bit on the fun of digging through READMEs and
configurations and make; make install, etc., with Apple's stuff.

--
Joel Rees <joel at alpsgiken.gr.jp>