mplayer

Adam blueeskimo at gmx.net
Tue Jun 10 11:12:40 PDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 13:39, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
> I thought I'd install the mplayer port plus the mplayer-skins and have
> fun playing my DivX or Quicktime movies. ** wrong **
>
> Running a GENERICS kernel mplayer complains about having to recompile
> the kernel w/ some extra options. I can't seem to find these
> instructions in the dox though, so I'll reluctantly ask you:
>
> What do I need to succesfully run mplayer. I mean: which port(s) and
> which kernel options need be set?
>
> An info page on FreeBSD and mplayer is also welcome ;-)

For starters, you'll need to compile in support for your soundcard. The
handbook goes over this in great detail:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-setup.html

Beyond that, as long as your video driver is working OK, you should be
able to use mplayer just fine.

Please note the differences between 4.x and 5.x in setting up sound
devices. Be sure you are reading the correct instructions for setting it
up in 4.x (more steps).

--
Adam <blueeskimo at gmx.net>